Tuesday, February 24, 2015

New Appreciation for groups!

After working to garner some interest in starting a wood working group(s) in the area I have a new appreciation of what others have done to start the various groups I have been a member of over the years.

All of those I helped with one way or another. Either by doing demos, helping with fundraisers, or just helping to recruit members and generally help run them. With all of them though, they were already “groups” by the time I joined. Some bigger and more active than others, but all of them had been going for several years.

Many people here have expressed interest in being a member of a group should I get one going, but no one has offered to help get one started, or put up a location to get them recognized in the community.

The local Arts Center has offered up their studio space for Tuesday evenings from March to June for us to hold a carving group and I’ll be putting out word on that shortly.


Not one to give up easily, perhaps even when I should, I have decided to go a different direction. I’m going to start doing a meeting with just a couple other people (family members) and put out notice that we are meeting at X time at Y location and see if anyone shows up.

If enough people show up, we can discuss which way we want to go. If it stays just two or three of us, that’s ok too, it simply means less opinions need to be heard when we move forward.

In the end, like most other things, it’s going to be a group effort to make this a true “group” and it is a relief to know that it’s out of my direct control and a true community effort.


In the future I either will be reporting on how there is now a Carving, turning, or flat wood working group(s) in town, or there isn’t. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a relaxed way to get started. I suppose I could be the Texas chapter.

    ReplyDelete