Sunday, December 6, 2015

Who am I?

What do you associate yourself with to be you?

Watching TV tonight while reading and it got me to thinking about how I look at whom/ what I am in my life. I mean if anyone asked me I would tell them I’m a historic archaeologist. Yet, I have not done any archaeology work for nearly 2 years now. I am a pretty decent woodworker, have operated heavy equipment, skidded logs, fell timber, worked as a welder; lay out person and a machinist in a fabrication shop, dug ditch, am a pretty decent photographer, and have done a few other things during my life. But do I call myself by any of those titles, no not really. I don’t claim to be a welder, a machinist, a logger, none of those.
I grew up on a ranch, for the first 12+ years of my life I rode horses and herded cattle alongside my dad nearly every week during the school year and all summer long, and while I would say my dad was truly a “cowboy” I would not claim that status.  

Currently I am running a business making packsaddles and other equipment for use with llamas, but do I call myself a manufacturer, only on the insurance and tax forms. It’s not what I would say I “am” to anyone. Not that I am not, it’s just not what I would say I am.

My claim as a parent/ father is one that, while high on my list, does not drive my self worth or my idea of who I am.


What or who do I claim? That’s still in debate in my own mind, I’m open to suggestions but I can’t say I will embrace any of those with great gusto. Perhaps what I am the most, is a work in progress!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rich. I'm thinking that same thing for myself. Work In Progress.

    ReplyDelete