Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day

            The tradition in the US is to make a special effort on Memorial Day to remember those that have served our country and gave their lives to maintain our freedom. It’s also a day to remember those that have passed away before ourselves.

            While there are several members of our family that have served in the armed forces, none of them that I knew directly have perished during that service. For that I am very thankful and I am grateful to them for their service to our country.

            My parents and Lynn’s mom have been gone long enough for the sharp pain of their loss to be muted somewhat and the loss of our son Joe is mostly down to a dull ache that will likely last for many more years.

            What has helped me get through the rough times when remembering my passed loved ones is to dwell on the fun times we had with them, the memories of them doing things that made them happy and created smiles on those around them. I could write a book or more on some of the great stories based on those memories if I only had the time. Or perhaps better stated is if I made the time to do so.


            For now I’ll leave you with this: When out and about today and in the days that follow, bring up those great memories and push the others to a back shelf. Don’t discard them, just regulate them to a less important station. 

No comments:

Post a Comment