Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A lost skill?

 Are wood workers a finite group? After being where we are for over a year now I have tried to both find a wood working group and failing at that, tried to start one. Only one person that was not family showed up to the meeting.

Further research has given me the info that the high school has not had a wood working program since 1996 and the only wood working program is a short one in the middle school. Even the local community college does not offer wood working, a sad state of affairs.

That then begs the question, what happens in a few years when there are no qualified wood workers? Yes, I know there will always be those that start after school, those that get jobs in a cabinet making shop, etc… but think of all those that Could have been wood workers, done their own house repairs, made practical items for themselves or gifts for friends and family?


I would love to work out a way to get the youth back in the mix, any ideas that you have I’d be happy to entertain them. 

4 comments:

  1. At the NC Mountain State Fair, in the art & craft exhibit hall, the local woodworking club sets up lathes and invites the visitors to try their hand at turning something. There's always a line. Maybe you could try something similar at your county fair, or at least do demonstrations there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did demonstrations at the fair while I was living in MT, but I was part of a club there, here it's just Me... but I'll check into that. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really sad that woodworking isn't taught in the schools in your area. Woodworking Shop, in high school was where I first got introduced to the trade. Life kind of got in the way for about 40 years but the seed had been planted and now for the last 25 or so years I have gotten back into woodworking as a hobby. I get great satisfaction building things from wood.
    There must be a few "closet woodworkers" in your area just waiting for someone to start and lead out in a woodworking club. I encourage you to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure there must be, but my first attempt at starting a group fell flat. Now divided between wanting a club and not wanting to give up the time it will take to get one going. There is a lot of work that will have to go into getting one started and I'm not sure I want to put out that much work for others right now. I have mentioned it at both lumber yards and they really didn't express much interest in helping me get one going and neither was willing to offer up space to let a group meet, that's a major concern if a group gets going, where to meet. I only have room for 2-3 in my shop at a time and no place for a "group" to sit... but I haven't given up completely... yet.

    ReplyDelete