Thursday, January 2, 2014

Double Decker!

This idea came to me a year or two ago. It has taken me this long to get it started. Already am thinking on the follow up to this one as well, but first to finish them version.

After my last blog I had a request for photos of my tools. The red disk is my King Arthur’s Holey Galahad. The Red means it’s a medium or 70 grit wheel. The smaller version on the second grinder is the same grit, only flat and half the diameter.




Here is a front view of the Oak log rough cut with the chainsaw.



And a side view.


I started by using the chainsaw bit on my grinder to make groves in the side of the log and a hatchet to cut those chunks out.


I also used it to start cutting the bowl part in the base.

With the neck thinned down I moved the base of my carving stand and fastened the bowl to the back with the ratchet strap. The back hose is to my dust collector. It helps a bunch, but there are still a lot of the heavier chips that get spread all over the shop.


The top bowl is starting to take shape.


As you can imagine the chainsaw blade on a grinder tends to throw out a lot of chips and create a lot of dust. The leather welding sleeves and apron protect my body and the Trend air shield keeps the dust out of my eyes and lungs by putting filtered air over my face.


The limiting factor seems to be that my grinder will only go so deep with the handle in place and it’s “not recommended” that it be ran without the side handle in place.


I am now ready to switch to the finer bits and start smoothing out the rough spots. It was here however that I hurt my back doing another job and it will be another day or two before I return to this project.

Look for photos of the finished product to show up next week. 

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to see the finished product. I need a way to remove a lot of wood, that grinder blade with teeth looks like it might be what I need, I'll see if I can find one. Obviously need to be careful in it's usage. Be Safe. Sure wish I had your shop. Good thing we're not neighbors, I'b be bugging you a lot. Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. If you were my neighbor you would be welcome in my shop any time. Just had 2 other guys here on Saturday to use the shop for a day. Something we are planing for once a month. As to the chainsaw blade for your grinder, and the smoothing tool as well, look here. http://katools.com/ I find the Dewalt grinders hold up the best. I have used the cheap ones from Harbor Freight, and continue to do so, but they don't have the amps for long term use. Let me know what project you decide on. Or, the Arbortech tools look very interesting too, but I have not purchased one as of yet. http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/

      Delete