Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Bowl, Carved, not turned.

My last blog described the steps involved in taking a log and moving through the process to make it a bowl on the lathe. This time around I’ll show how to take a section of that same log and make a bowl by carving.


Here is the log strapped down to my carving stand and the first section rounded off. The top here will end up being the bottom of the bowl when it’s done.

This cute little tool is what I use for roughing out my bowls and sculptures. There are 14 chainsaw teeth on this thing and the power is from a Dewalt grinder. Impressive to use and not as intimidating as it looks.

Here is the outside of the bowl roughed out and ready to be turned over to start the shaping of the top.

The first half of the top is shaped as well, now to turn it around and do the other end.

All the rough work is nearly finished, I just need to cut through that wonderful grain to make the handle portion. What a shame, but it has to be done.

The handle is showing its basic shape and the ‘dish’ part is starting to take form as well. For in here I have a smaller and less aggressive disk on another grinder but I forgot to get photos of it. I also used chisels and rasps for some of the tighter places. They give me a bit more control as well. 

Fastening the bowl to a board after I sanded the bottom flat allows me to clamp it to the carving stand and keeps the strap out of my way.

The grain in the bottom of this is going to be Gorgeous!  

And here is the rough sanded product. It needs to be set aside to dry for a few months and then I can finish sanding and add the finish. I’m thinking this will make a great “Easter” basket for someone.

If you like my work, please comment below and share the link with All of your friends.


Thank you! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks good Richard!
    Looks like juniper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because it Is Juniper. Taken out of a gal's yard in Kalispell in early November. Still at about 28-30% moisture content, but it's a light wood and will dry fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bowl with the handle, and the mushrooms you've got there too!

    ReplyDelete