Sunday, February 9, 2014

Updated site & Toys for Tots.

            It’s been a fun week, depending on how you define fun of course. The Etsy site https://www.etsy.com/shop/RockRabbitEnterprise now has over 50 items listed and I continue to add a few more each day if possible. I have a few more of the mid size bowls to list and then I’m moving on to the bread troughs. Mostly made out of Walnut but there is one made from Russian Olive. Once those are up it only leaves a few of the individual pieces.
            Yesterday I spent the whole day doing cradles for the Toys for Tots program. I have enough sides cut out and trimmed to size for 50 doll cradles and 45 of the rockers. I’ll cut the rest of the rockers from scraps that are left from making the 25 tool boxes or the 25 block trucks. The 15 bulldozers don’t take much 1” materials so they won’t have enough scrap left to make the rockers. For those that have not seen them before I’ll post photos of each toy below. Last year the Toys for Tots program had over 1,800 families come though and they gave out just over 9,000 toys. Only a small percentage of those were wooden thank goodness! Our group of 5 guys made right around 500 toys and there were airplanes and helicopters made by a couple of local high school. I don’t know how many. One branch of the local hardware store, Western Building Center, made a big batch of rocking horses. The rest of the toys were those donated by kind people from all over the area and gathered up by the Marine Corp (active and retired) here in the Flathead Valley.
            Should anyone in the area want to stop by and help me make toys, just let me know. I’ll find something that needs done to put you to doing! Did I mention that I took over the coordinating of our group of 5 for the Toys for Tots? It’s now up to me to make sure everyone gets the materials they need and get the toys made on time to deliver by the end of November? The man that was doing it just turned 86 and decided that he was ready to slow down just a Bit he said.

            Anyway, here are photos of the stuff I’m making, I need to get back down to the shop and get to making them! 




4 comments:

  1. I love these toys! Are you going to sell any on your Etsy site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I can't sell any of the ones in the photo. They were made with wood donated to the Toys for Tots program by a local mill. However, if you want toys "like" those, I can make them for you, yes. Are you looking for "use and abuse" toys for kids to use or would you prefer toys that are more "looks pretty on the shelf"? Meaning I can make toys out of other woods that look prettier then those, but would cost more due to the higher price of hardwoods. Let me know what you are thinking.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you have been busy!

      Delete
  2. I guess it depends on how you define Busy! Normal state of affairs for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete